12.10.2011

The end is nigh?

Recently, I read a story about how in just 2011 alone, America had more billion-dollar natural disasters than in all the 1980s combined. Some attributed the freakish weather to man-made climate change. Other incidents were mere freak chance. Reading that story, I was reminded about how Jesus described the end times in Matthew 24:
6 "And you will hear of wars and threats of wars, but don’t panic. Yes, these things must take place, but the end won’t follow immediately. 7 Nation will go to war against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be famines and earthquakes in many parts of the world. 8 But all this is only the first of the birth pains, with more to come."
Looking at the state of the world, I'm reminded that scripture proves itself to be true, even centuries after it was written. Of course, I don't look on these disasters flippantly. They're heartbreaking and frightening to see, much less experience, and the church needs to reach out and love those affected.

But it's not just the weather. If the past few years has taught me anything, it's that government and industry — the two systems that we've trusted in for centuries — make terrible gods. Even our love of religion has led us down a dark path. We're more dedicated to tradition than the Savior. And our foxholes of denominations and spiritual cliques seem to bind the hands of Christ.

I'm convicted that I don't make the Kingdom the highest priority in my life. I've floundered in my walk. I've shown a horrible example to the world. He needs hands and feet, and I just seem to be a hangnail. Jesus doesn't need pew potatoes; he needs holy warriors that will love radically. There are too many tares among the wheat already.

In the end, it's not about what type of church you go to (so long as the doctrine is sound, of course). It's about showing the love of Christ to a hurting world that will see a lot more pain in the coming years. Hope and change doesn't come from ourselves; it comes from above.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent thoughts. In all honesty, I've had many thoughts on the end times as well. And from someone that watches a multitude of pastors online, I sense that much of the leadership in the body is perhaps feeling it as well. The messages over the last several months seem to have a greater urgency before ... more talk about end times, witnessing, salvation and ****.

    And as you mentioned, "It's about showing the love of Christ to a hurting world that will see a lot more pain in the coming years." I feel this is imperative now more than ever ... the opportunites are there.

    Watch this clip ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsAVqMm0bc8

    ReplyDelete