9.08.2010

Do tantrums ever end?

You probably don't remember much before kindergarten. My memory of those years, of course, is spotty, too. There's one memory that does come to mind, however. I was about 4, and I remember shrieking at the top of my lungs, banging my feet on the dash of my mom's Malibu screaming, "I WANT A TOOOOOOOOOOOOOYYYYYYYYY!"

I'd like to think that I've matured a bit since those days, but sadly I still act like that. I traded tears for rage, crying for cuss words. When God isn't pandering to my agenda. When I'm not getting all the material things "I deserve." When things aren't going the way I think they should.

One of the key elements of my spiritual growth has been learning to have an attitude of thankfulness. It's tough, because it means I have to take my eyes off myself. It's a process, and I need to keep praying that God will change my heart and my perception.

It says in Colossians 2:7, " Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness." It's a great illustration of how connecting with Christ can change your perspective. Even in our troubles, we can be thankful. It says in Romans 5:3, " We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance." How much of a departure is that for us, that we can have joy and thankfulness in the midst of problems? It's not from our own strength, but God's. As it says in John 15:5, "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment